Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Completing the syllabus- we hear this phrase SO often, that my ears are literally TIRED of these words .. It's a race, a competition....in which most beautiful things are lost.. lost behind the transition between the "want" to study, and the "compulsion" to study .. Going way off the topic- students nowadays only study, because they have to. Given the chance, I'm sure they'd rather spend time on FaceBook ...
But among the few classes that I REALLY look forward to is English ... beauty beyond barriers .... Poems, sonnets, stories..... fun

"The Frog and the Nightingale" - a masterpiece by Vikram Seth, a maestro in himself ... really inspired me ... So I wrote a poem, with animals as characters, as a satire on our society ... In the quest to learn more and grow more with each passing day, I aspire to make the most out of what I've got ....

So here's the poem:

The Snake and the Rabbit

"All eyes turn to me
As i tread along the path
The leaves cover the thorns
Beauty is such an art!"

Haughtily exclaimed the rabbit
Her head held oh-so-high!
Looking around as if to check
How many at her beauty did sigh!

Along came slithering, slivering
A snake- such a scare
Exclaimed the rabbit- "How could
To cross my path you dare!"

"Forgive me, my mistress"
The snake bowed deep into the Earth
"I'd forgotten there for a moment
Of humbleness here, there is a dearth."

Cried the aristocracy
For all her worth she fought
"You've dared to defy the social laws
For punishment now, you shall be sought"

"For all you can claim
Is a mere slither on the ground
Known to be a betrayer
To an ordinary fate you're bound"

These words, though heard before
Filled the snake with awe
She kept quiet at this humiliation
Choosing not to flout another law

Caressed by the snow fur
The look in the rabbit's eyes undaunted
Attendants all around her
The fox, the rat- keeping her enchanted

"I've been judged by my dark, tainted looks
A tradition carried on since ages
My ancestors' 'sins' I have to bear
For they have been forever engraved in pages"

"As I try to rise inside myself
By your kind words you empathize
Make me fall deep down infinitely"
The snake said unheard, invisible tears in her eyes

And so the world and its ways
Upholds the rabbit to the peak
Terrified of the minorities' empowerment
Simple acceptance is what the snake seeks.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment